Committees of the NCWBA
The Committees of the NCWBA offer members a chance to work with other professionals on a wide range of cutting edge issues in local, state, national and international arenas. In addition to these committees at the local level, each of our members has the opportunity to participate in one of the 30 active practice committees of WBASNY . Committee participation provides opportunities to work with other legal professionals on important issues, to network with colleagues, and to perform public interest services.
Below is the list of the Committees of the NCWBA.
If you are interested in serving on a committee, please contact us.
- Awards: Assists the Vice President of Awards in researching and making recommendations to the Board for awards; prepares submissions in support of member nominees approved by the Board.
- By-Laws: Reviews our by-laws and drafts proposals to be presented to the Board for revisions and amendments.
- Criminal Law: Reviews legislation and significant issues in the practice of criminal law; has direct contact with the chapter's liaison to the WBASNY Criminal Law Committee.
- Diversity: Focuses on the diversity of women among all sectors of the legal field and issues affecting women of all ethnic origins. The chair is the chapter's liaison to the WBASNY Diversity Committee.
- Domestic Violence/Family/Matrimonial: Focuses on the effects of domestic violence on the client, the family and the legal system. Reviews legislation and significant issues in family and matrimonial law. The chairs are the chapter's liaison to the WBASNY Domestic Violence Committee, and WBASNY Matrimonial Law Committee.
- Dressed to A Tea: Plans an annual charitable event co-sponsored with the Nassau County Bar Association to benefit We Care and other local charities.
- Elder Law/Trusts & Estates: Reviews legislation and significant issues in elder law, trusts and estates; has direct contact with the chapter's liaison to the WBASNY Trusts and Estates Committee.
- Focus on Health: Plans and coordinates programs focused on health issues. The chair is a liaison for the chapter to WBASNY’s Judges and Lawyers Breast Cancer Alert (JALBCA) Committee.
- Holiday Party: Plans an annual event held during the winter as a time for our members to join together to celebrate the winter holidays.
- Immigration: Reviews legislation and important issues in immigration law; presents a program with substantive legal content.
- Installation Dinner: Plans and coordinates the Annual Installation Dinner.
- Judiciary: Investigates and considers the background, experience and qualifications of candidates for judicial office.
- Labor and Employment Law: Educates members about current developments in this varied area of the law, particularly as these affect women.
- Legislation: Makes recommendations to the Board for the chapter's position regarding proposed legislation. The chair is the liaison to the WBASNY Legislation Committee.
- Membership: Uses its best efforts to increase the chapter membership.
- Mentoring: Presents a program focused on orienting law students and recent graduates entering or members returning to practice; not job recruitment. The chair is the chapter liaison to the WBASNY committee.
- Municipal Law: Reviews legislation and important issues in municipal law; presents a program with substantive legal content.
- Networking: Holds monthly lunch programs presenting various topics including those with substantive legal content and provides networking opportunities for members.
- Newsletter/Website/Public Relations: Responsible for soliciting articles and the drafting, editing and publishing of the chapter newsletter; assists in updating and maintaining the chapter website. Assists in obtaining publicity in newspapers, magazines and/or radio and television of our events and programs
- Pro Bono Legal Clinic: Hosts regular legal clinics with not-for-profit groups for free legal screening; seeks attorney members to meet with clients at the clinic to provide legal information. The chair is the chapter liaison to the WBASNY committee.
- Programs/CLE: Assists the Vice President of Programs in planning programs for the chapter.
- Real Estate/Zoning and Land Use: Reviews legislation and important issues in real estate law; presents a program with substantive legal content.
- Solo Practitioner/Small Firm: Focuses on the issues facing attorneys who practice alone or in small firms; opportunities to network and discuss legal issues.
- Sponsorship/Underwriting: Assists in locating funding sources to defray costs for newsletter, mailings and programs.
- Take Our Children to Work Day: Plans a program for National Take Our Children To Work Day, a national event organized by the Ms. Foundation.
- Torts/Medical Malpractice: Reviews legislation and important issues in tort law; presents a program with substantive legal content.
- Working Parents: Focuses on issues concerning working parents.